Tuesday, February 17, 2009

14 Years...

Today Jeff and I have been married for 14 years, which makes me feel OLD. I was a ball of nerves leading up to this day 14 years ago. I would second guess myself over and over wondering if I had made the right decision. The Lord had answered my prayer on more than once while on my knees just making sure that this life altering path I was about to take was the right one.

I had taken some time off of school to go back home (Wyoming) to help with Wedding plans. Jeff was at BYU at the time and I hadn't seen in for 2 months. My family and I drove to Utah on February 16th. I was hoping and praying that when Jeff saw me again for the first time in 2 months that he hadn't changed his mind. The knock on the hotel door at the Inn at Temple Square made my heart skip a few beats. Jeff had come to pick me up so that we could go get our marriage licence. Holding his hand for the first time in 2 months was all that I needed at the time to help my nerves subside. We ran a few errands together and then came back to the hotel to get ready to go to the Bountiful Temple to receive my endowments. I remember being so nervous going to the Temple for the first time. I was grateful for sweet old ladies and my Mom who helped me through that very spiritual process. After attending the Temple we came back to Salt Lake with Jeff's family and ate dinner at JB's, since I had been fasting, anything tasted good at that point. We came back to the Hotel and Jeff and I spent some time together just talking before going to our rooms for the night. I remember sleeping only a wink or two that night, not because of my nerves, but because my Dad was snoring so loud. I was the first one up the next morning to shower and to be sure I had enough time to do my hair and make-up. My oldest sister was living in Salt Lake at the time and came by to help me do my hair and make-up. After getting primped we made the long journey to Manti. That drive was probably the longest ever. My parents only had a Ford explorer and I think we fit all 8 member of my family in there, with my 2 youngest brothers in the back (without seat belts). About 2 1/2 hours later we arrived in Manti and I saw Jeff and his family for the first time that day. We went to the recommend desk and the worker asked us for our marriage licence. Jeff starred at the worker for what seemed like 5 minutes and I nudged him and said "well...give him the licence", he looked and me and said "I forgot it in the hotel room". I was devastated, I had a million thoughts run through my mind, with the number one being, "I'm not going to get married today". The worker calmed both of our nerves and reassured us that the county offices were open and they were just down the street. Luckily it was a Friday and they were open. So we went downtown and filed for another marriage licence. I don't remember being stressed over the time or worrying about being late and making everyone wait around for us. Once the stress about not having a marriage licence was over I was just excited that it was just a small/minor delay. After getting dressed I met Jeff and we walked/climbed to our sealing room. The Manti Temple has a sealing room that in order to get to it, you have to walk a winding staircase of about 120 stairs. Looking back, I feel horribly bad that we made our grandparents walk up all those stairs (there is no elevator). The room was beautiful, it seemed like Jeff and I sat there in the sealing room for quite a while before our friends and family arrived. I don't think we said much to each other, just sat and held hands and felt the peace and holiness of the temple. My nerves had subsided at the point and the calmness and peace overwhelmed me. I was sitting next to my eternal companion I was about to make promises with Jeff and the Lord. The ceremony was short, but beautiful, and emotional. Jeff's great uncle was our sealer. I wish I remember what he had said to us. I remember looking at my mom and dad with tears in there eyes and feeling so much gratitude for them that they had taught me from a young age to love the gospel. The rest of the day was filled with pictures, pictures, pictures. Driving back to the Inn at Temple Square for a dinner, more pictures, and then our honeymoon suite. We didn't take a honeymoon, because, we were too poor and Jeff had to get back to school. Two weeks later we drove to Wyoming for an official reception. I feel so lucky to have married such a wonderful man. I know he loves me unconditionally. He makes me laugh everyday. I love that he doesn't stress over things. I love that he is a good father, a hard worker, and can fix almost anything. I love his brain, he is so smart and intelligent, sometimes it drives me crazy that he knows so much, but I learn from him all the time. We've been through many ups and downs, and I wouldn't change any of them, because through them we've grown closer together. I'm excited for what the next 14 years will bring us!

7 comments:

jilliebean said...

What sweet memories! I can't believe you didn't see each other for 2 months between engagement and marriage! Brett and I were only engaged for 8 weeks total before getting married, so that seems like forever! I would have been nervous too! Happy Anniversary! You guys are great!

R.G. said...

Happy Anniversary! Your memory of that day is so clear!

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

Happy late Anniversary. You have such a good memory! I don't remember much at all about the day we were married. I WAS a bundle of nerves!

Megan said...

awwwe that was so sweet! One day, you'll be glad you wrote those words down in your blog. Congratulations to you both! :)

Jen said...

I love it! I love hearing about your wedding day memories! And forgetting the marriage license...classic. Doesn't something silly like that always happen on your wedding day!

Now you two need to go on an actual honeymoon!

Michelle said...

I found your blog through your info. on facebook. I am officially a blogger-junkie.

I love your blog--and this memory is so real and wonderful!! Sounds like you are really happy.

Sharlyn said...

Happy Anniversary! Thanks for sharing personal memories, it was a beautiful read :)