Wednesday, October 12, 2011

No Sugar!

My beautiful sister and I are doing a challenge together with a couple other ladies. We are trying to avoid sugar until the challenge is over (January 29th) Yes, you saw that right...January 29th. That is 4 months of no sugar. We will be paying ourselves up to $10/week, and at the end of the challenge the person with the highest points gets to either keep all the money that everyone in the challenge contributied to or they can split it. We can have sugar substitues, we are trying to use these only occasionally since they are not good for you, stevia, honey & agave syrup are o.k.

This is by far the hardest time of year to avoid sugar. It's hard for me normally, but this time of year especially. Here are just some of the things the upcoming events that I will have to say "no" to sugar:

Jeff's Birthday (this Friday)
Halloween (the kids are excited about no mommy tax on their candy this year)
Thanksgiving
Christmas (I won't be baking this year, which is my very favorite thing to do, tear tear)
New Years
Ian's Birthday

I have a serious sweet tooth, and when I want a snack the only thing that comes to mind is a sweet snack. Forget the popcorn and chips bring on the chocolate chip cookies and ice cream. The first week and a half has been hard, I'm feeling a bit deprived, but I also have a sense of accomplishment. I don't think I have every gone without sugar for this long EVER. I've heard that the first 2 weeks are hard and then it gets easier as time goes on. I've been chewing a lot of gum, eating more fruit that I usually do. Wish me luck, I seriously need it!

4 comments:

Jamie VanBeekum said...

Wow! Best of luck to you, Jayleen! Color me impressed!

ChicChat said...

Best of luck to you! You are strong!

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

Way to go, Jayleen! I read once that if you want to get control over what you crave, you put it out in front of you and stare at it for 15 min and just keep telling yourself, "No." I've never tried it, but maybe it will help. Maybe I'll try it...Good luck!!

R.G. said...

Wow Jayleen! I'm impressed. I keep thinking that I should do something about the amount of sugar I consume, but have been to lazy to make a commitment. Good for you!