After months and months of trying to find a "good time" to take Morgan's "nini" (binky) away. I finally bit the bullet and just did it on Monday night. She's been sick off and on all fall and I didn't want to take it away when she already felt crummy. I was prepared to be up and down the stairs all night calming her, telling her it was o.k., and that she was a "big girl" now and didn't need her "nini". After our normal bedtime routine of stories and songs, I layed her down in her crib and that's when she usually starts asking for her "nini". I ignored her and tucked her in and tried to give her her bunny and baby doll that she sleeps with but since she didn't have her "nini", she threw them at me. So, I quickly left the room and that's when the real crying began. She cried and cried, so about 15 minutes later I went into her room to reassure her that I was still there, I talked to her, put her blankets back on and then left again. After another 15 minutes of hysterical wailing I went in to reassure again, at this point I wasn't sure it was ever going to stop. At one point she was standing up frantically searching for it all through her covers and saying "wherego?" (where did it go?) So, after an hour of long hard crying she finally quieted down for a good 10 minutes but started up again with a little whimpering and then off to her deep slumber. She woke up in the middle of the night crying and I went in to put her blankets on her and she went right back to sleep. The next morning she woke up happy but didn't remember that she didn't go to bed with her "nini" and one of the first things she said was "wherego" with her palms facing up. Nap time yesterday was a little whimpering, and bed time was more wailing for only 3o minutes. So I really think that it went better than expected. With her strong personality I thought for sure it was going to be a lot worse. I think we still have a few more nights of "crying it out". In the long run I'll be so happy not to have to take it with us everywhere, making sure it's always with us, and even more happier to no longer getting up in the middle of the night looking through blankets and crawling under the crib searching high and low. BYE BYE "NINI"!









5 comments:
Yay for Morgan! I know that is hard transition. Sounds like she's coping. Good luck!
i love your blog template! hope all is going well!
What a cutie!!
Our Carrie was the only one of ours that had a pacifier. She was about 16 months when we lost it and I decided that it was a as good a time as any. She missed it for a day or so and then it was over. Whew! Rachel has her thumb though, that one's going to be harder to get rid of :)
She's so cute! My kids never took the binki. I always wished they would have...until I see my friends trying to do this. Makes for great stories to tell though right?!
That is a nice stage to be at once it's all over. :) No more finding the binky's in the middle of the night. Yay for Morgan!
Post a Comment