Wednesday, September 30, 2009

New Goals

We returned from Wyoming last night after my Grandmothers funeral. My heart is heavy with saddness to see her passing. It's really hard to imagine my life without her. One good thing about her passing is that her funeral brought us ALL together. My brothers and sisters with all of our kids, and my Aunt and Uncle, their kids and grandkids. We had a family get-together in my grandmothers back yard. I felt that my grandmothers spirit was there smiling with us, laughing with us and crying with us.

One thing I brought home with me was a new goal. A goal that I have been trying for years to accomplish and get in the habit, and that is Journal writing. My grandmother would write just a few words down daily, without fail. They were not long journal entries, but just little snippits of what happened that day. We had SO much fun reading some of her journal entries, and I can't wait to have the chance to read ALL of her journals. So this morning, I got up before the kids got up and had quiet time. This is also something that I've been trying to do. I get up about 30 minutes before I need to get Ian up for school, and have scripture and prayer time. I haven't been very consistent, but I'm trying harder to be. I've noticed that when I do this my life feels more peaceful, I'm able to face my day knowing that I've done the most important thing to start out my day. So, part of my quiet time consists of journal writing too. My grandmother has left me with a great legacy. I want my children, and grandchildren and great grandchildren, to read about my life, to read about my struggles and triumphs and know of my testimony of the gospel. This link has some great ideas for quiet time. It has helped me feel closer to my savior and helped me to have more peace and less contention.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Good for you Jay! This is something I have been really trying to do--but very unsuccessfully. You have inspired me.
How great to have all your family together. So sorry again for your loss. But like you said what a great legacy she left.

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

What a good goal. I need to better at all those things.