Monday, May 25, 2009

Flashback Part 2

After I finished my first post about my newspaper delivery days as a child, there were so many other memories that flooded my mind.

Part of delivering these horrendous newspapers involved collecting money each month from our subscribers. These seemed to have been a never ending process, trying to collect money, and getting everyone home was a huge task. We would hear all sorts of excuses..."I'm sorry I'm on a long distance call, can you please come back another time?", "I ran out of checks", "I don't get paid until next week", the list went on and on and on. We had a couple of people that were memorable in a good way and not so good way. On our route was a couple who owned the A&W drive-in, they would be at the restaurant a lot and they told us that we could go there anytime to collect their money, and whenever we went there they would give us free Ice Cream. There was also the elderly lady that was so generous in her tips and in her Christmas gifts. But, then there was the creepy single guy that always seemed to have "visitors" over whenever we would go, he would always be tipsy and give us creepy looks.

At the end of the month we would have to turn all of our money over to the head lady who would count our money and keep, what seemed to be most of it, and then give us our percentage. I remember this lady as mean and grouchy, she scared me, and then she made us go door to door trying to sell newspaper subscriptions. I remember pretending to knock on the door, pretending to ring the door bell, just so I didn't have to face people and try and sell the newspaper. This newspaper business was my Nemesis. Cold winter mornings, HUGE Sunday papers, creepy customers, mean boss lady = Newspaper delivery is not for a child!



This is a school picture from 2nd grade - about the time I started delivery newspapers

2 comments:

Jen said...

Hahahahahahaha!!!! You're singing my song sista!

Oh how I loved the Casper Star Tribune! I hated collecting money. I hated every minute of it! And then there was good 'ol Dee. Oh yeah, I remember her name! Remember how she drove that cream colored Dogde truck? She had to have it custome made for her because of her size. I remember watching her steer with her belly. Nasty.

I nearly wet myself when you said you would pretend to knock and ring the door bells when trying to beg for new customers! I did the same exact thing! I'm sure we probably had to do it together a time or two.

I can't believe you delivered to the A&W owners. Oh no! Instead I delivered to an old couple that would sick their watch dog on us if we weren't early enough and we delivered to a total perv that would watch pornos! (At 5am!)

I adore your picture! I had the same exact dress. You'll have to check out my Flashback Friday - Gunne Sax dresses. I have a picture of me in mine...only you look much, much cuter!

Jayleen said...

LOL Jen...I think I do remember going out with you knocking on doors together. I couldn't of think of Dee's name for the life of me. She was sure mean and nasty. I can't wait to see your Flashback Friday post!