Sunday, May 3, 2009

We're SO MEAN

I remember when I was little thinking my parents were sometimes mean, especially when they made me go to bed early on a Friday night so they could have some alone time. I would say to myself that I was going to let me kids stay-up as long as they wanted to, let them eat what they wanted to, and NEVER EVER make them do chores.

Well...the tables have turned and apparently we are now the mean parents. On Friday night after dinner, as a family we went out to do some shopping for Morgan's Birthday the next day. After returning home and getting Morgan in bed it was about 10:00, not really that early anymore. I asked Jeff if he wanted to catch up on some TV shows that we had missed during the week, so we thought it would be nice to send Ian to bed and have time just to ourselves. This is a rare occasion since Jeff is off to work at the wee hours of the morning, I'm usually left up by myself at night. Ian thought that since it was Friday he would be able to stay up with us also, which we do allow quite often, however this time we thought we should make him go to bed. So with tears, stomping (a trait he inherited from yours truly) and pleadings, he headed to bed.

After we watched just one show we decided we should go to bed, so we headed to kiss the kiddos goodnight and we saw this note written from Ian posted on the outside of his closed door (he usually never closes his door).

I guess we are the MEANEST parents EVER. We had a good laugh going to bed.

4 comments:

Amy said...

That is pretty funny. I've found notes waiting for me, usually sob stories about how I hurt her feelings. She doesn't have tantrums with stomping or slamming doors or such, but she is our "drama queen" as Bruce likes to call her!

Kim said...

I love it!!! Such passion in it. Boy you guys really asked for it! JK. Caleb's left me notes too. And he can't spell very well yet, so he'll ask me, "mommy how do you spell meanie?"

ssh said...

that is too funny!! i remember being his age and being SOOO mad that the dog got to stay up later than me!

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

That is cute! Oh, the joys of parenthood! Grace has been our little stinker lately. She will say, "You're trying to torture me!" or, "Excuse me, I would like to trade in my mom and dad." Can you believe that?! I was told by Kate how mean I was today. I guess I'm doing my job right. They sure don't appreciate it!