Saturday, May 30, 2009

BIG GLASSES

When I turned the ripe full age of 15, like any other teenager dying to get behind the wheel, I headed down to the county courthouse to take the learners permit test. I passed the multiple choice test with flying colors, however I did not pass the eye exam test. They had me look into a big black box. I remember looking into the box and seeing little cars, but when they started asking me questions like "Where is the red dot?" "What direction is car A driving?", I couldn't answer their questions. My dad by my side said, "O, Come one move over let me see in there". I happily obliged. My dad knew what they were talking about and looked up at me and said, "You can't see that?" So feeling dumb I sat down again and tried but miserably failed. They ordered me to go get an eye exam before returning to take the test. So, with tear filled eyes we drove away from the courthouse on down to the eye doctor. We made the appointment, eye glasses were ordered and amazingly I was able to see. I had NO idea that my vision was impaired, it wasn't bad, but things were blurry. We drove home from the eye doctor after getting my new glasses and I was amazed how crystal clear EVERYTHING was. But, why didn't anyone for the love of all that's holy, tell me that my glasses were TOO BIG for my face.

It didn't help that I also had a mouth full of braces to go along with them, and BIG hair. I didn't learn my lesson, because a year later I went from these ugly BIG red glasses to ugly BIG blue glasses
Thank goodness, by my senior year I had come to my senses, and got rid of my BIG glasses for contacts and got my braces off. The BIG bangs didn't disappear until well into college.


6 comments:

Spaces for Faces said...

I had glasses just like that! What were our mothers thinking? :)

Kim said...

Jayleen I love the pictures! Is that last one your senior pic? It's so cute! And trust me--your glasses are not as bad as Matt's. Poor guy-- his eyes were enormous with those things!

Amy said...

Jay, I love reading your flashback stories. It's so fun. And you don't look as bad as you think. And I agree with Kim, your senior pic is great!

Jayleen said...

Amy and Kim, the last picture is one of my senior pictures, I couldn't find the one that went into the year book. You guys are sweet!

Jen said...

Big glasses were soooo in back then. And red! You were one hip chick!

Cute pics!

Sharlyn said...

I had big glasses too, only I wasn't brave enough to wear red ones, way to be hip! :) I have to say that I like the smaller specs that are in fashion now. I should email you one of my "winning pictures". The 80's were an unforgiving and unflattering decade weren't they? ;-)