Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Attitude

Sundays are really hard for Ian to control his attitude. Is it because we always stay up later on Saturday night and he doesn't get as much sleep? Is it because he's bored after church and he doesn't have enough to do? Or, is it because it's Sunday and Satan works on him harder that day than any other day?

I believe it's a combination of all the above. This Sunday his attitude seemed worse than other Sundays. It all started when I told him he needed to work on Cub Scout stuff. He didn't want to, so that's when his attitude was just plain awful. He usually only gives me attitude when Jeff isn't around to hear him. Why do kids think they can speak one way to their Moms but they don't dare speak awful to their Dads? By the end of the day he had gotten himself grounded for the whole week (way to start off the summer vacation). He was sent to bed at his "normal" school time. After he was supposed to be in bed he threw this note at me. He's famous for writing "lovely" notes, so I thought for sure this one was going to be a doozey. To my surprise this is what I found:



We made a deal yesterday that if he didn't have attitude at all yesterday then I would cut his sentence down to just one day. He worked really hard yesterday. He helped with laundry, he cleaned the big upstairs bathroom, did dishes, cleaned his room and helped me with Morgan. He was very pleasant to be around. Let's hope it continues to be more pleasant and peaceful around here.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Now that's a good sign that you and your husband are doing something right! Way to go Ian! It takes a big man to apologize.

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

Aww! How nice of him to apologize! I'm right there with you on the way kids talk to moms vs dads! It drives me insane!

ssh said...

i love that you scan and post his notes in!! i remember being little and writing those kind of notes to my parents (mostly mom). i wish my mom had kept them for laughs. oh ya, and all growing up i can't remember a sunday where i did NOT get grounded. it seemed to be my worst attitude day as well :)

Sharlyn said...

Right now I am dealing with a four year old's attitude. *sigh* :) What a cute note! I have a box with similar notes from my kids. So sweet :)

Em said...

I have to say that I'm impressed Ian knew how to use the word onery! I think my kids will more commonly hear me tell them to stop being obnoxious....onery is nicer:)